Lead Paint, Asbestos, and Mold

Lead Paint

The Environmental Protection Agency and the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development Lead-Based Paint Disclosure Rule exempts university dormitory housing and other ‘zero bedroom’ dwellings from the lead paint regulations. The Department of Residential Life has no knowledge, reports or records of the presence of lead-based paint or lead-based hazards in our targeted housing (apartments built prior to 1978). Residents of Northwood Apartments, Mansfield Apartments and other apartments within the residence halls (not Hilltop Apartments or Charter Oak Apartments) receive lead paint information that is relevant to their housing. Lead Paint Disclosure Statement.

Asbestos

Asbestos is a common, naturally occurring mineral fiber once widely used in a variety of building materials to provide strength, heat insulation, and fire resistance. It exists today in many buildings throughout the US, particularly in those constructed prior to 1980, including many of the University of Connecticut’s residence halls. It can be found in materials such as certain pipe insulation, plaster, floor tiles and their glues, ceiling tiles and their glues, and texturized paints. Breathing asbestos fibers can cause serious lung disease and cancer. However, only when the fibers are disturbed and become airborne can they be inhaled and potentially affect health. Intact, sealed, and undisturbed materials are not a hazard. For this reason, the US EPA recommends that asbestos materials be maintained in place and in good condition. Use the following measures to protect yourself and others from exposure to airborne asbestos:

  • Presume all building materials contain asbestos unless otherwise determined by the Department of Environmental Health and Safety.
  • Do not remove, cut, drill, sand, grind, nail into, or otherwise disturb any material that may contain asbestos.
  • Do not brush, sweep or vacuum any suspect debris.
  • Immediately report any observed damage or deterioration of suspect building material to the Assistant Director of Operations.
  • Only state-licensed contractors using trained individuals may remove asbestos containing building materials.

Mold

Mold is part of the natural environment and can be found everywhere and all year round-indoors and outdoors. All of us are exposed to mold spores daily in the air we breathe. Indoors, mold is usually not a problem unless sources of excessive moisture are present that cause it to grow. Large amounts of mold can produce health effects, such as allergic symptoms, in sensitive individuals and can cause damage to building materials and furnishings. There is no practical way to eliminate all mold and mold spores in the indoor environment; the only way to control indoor mold growth is to control moisture. Common sources of indoor moisture that can cause mold problems include flooding, roof and plumbing leaks, very high humidity, or any moisture condensation on cold surfaces. Bathroom showers and steam from cooking may also create problems if not well ventilated. It is important to report and correct excessive moisture problems quickly before they develop into a mold problem.

Reporting Procedure

If you suspect a lead paint hazard, damaged asbestos or observe mold growth or sources of excessive moisture, immediately contact Work Order Control at (860) 486-3113. Residential Services will bring in a representative from Environmental Health and Safety for an inspection and establish follow up actions as necessary.