Summer 2017 Undergraduate Room Change Process
There will be two distinct processes for students to change rooms through the Summer 2017 Room Change & Trading Spaces Process for the Fall 2017 semester.
Room Changes – Move to an Open Spot
- Moving as an Individual – Choose Room Online
- Moving as a Pair/Group – Offered by Residential Life
- Swap rooms with another student. Does not involve a vacant space.
This process is entirely online and does not need to be completed on campus. Please note that this process is not intended for students who are new to the University of Connecticut, as they have a different housing placement process.
Don’t Want to Move? Don’t Submit an Application!
If you don’t want to move, don’t submit an application! Only students who submit a room change/trading spaces application will be considered to change rooms.
Room Changes & Trading Spaces–The Basics
Apply April 24th - May 22nd in MyHousing
Any student who wishes to change rooms or trade spaces must submit an application between April 24th - May 22nd.
Between May 24th - June 30th, trading spaces requests can be submitted via email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Group Room Change Offers Begin – May 15th
There will be an early application deadline of May 15, 2017 for the following students:
- Students wishing to move as a pair/group
- Students requesting a specific (non-single) space
- Students moving within a specialty area (Honors, LCs)
Applications received by this date from the above groups will be given priority in room change offers over those received after May 15th.
Room Rate/Meal Plan Changes
Room rate or meal plan changes can occur. Be aware that adjustments may be made to your fee bill depending on the room type you are moving in to or out
Special Interest Areas
There are special interest housing areas throughout campus. Students requesting these areas must meet programmatic requirements. Students cannot move into or out of Husky Village during this room change process.
Room Changes (Moving as a Pair/Group)
Moving as Pair/Group
- Room change offers will be made May 15th - 24th with priority given to groups/pairs who applied by May 15th.
- Additional group/pair moves may be made throughout the summer as spaces become available.
- After all students in the group/pair have submitted an application, they will be contacted by a staff member via email if a space is available.
- There will be a 48 hour deadline to respond to the offer, and typically one offer is made. Students are not obligated to accept an offer and can choose to remain in their same room.
- Any student without a room change offer as of May 24th will be issued a room change selection time in the event they wish to view room availability.
Moving as an Individual to a Vacant Spot–Selection Times Available May 24th
Moving as Individual – Selection Times Available May 24th
- Students who request to move individually to a vacant spot will choose their assignment online in MyHousing May 31st - June 11th. Students looking to move to a specific (non-single) room, or to an Honors or LC space will be offered a room change from Residential Life.
- Once a new room has been chosen, the student’s fall assignment will be available to another student to select. Students can change assignments any number of times between May 31st - June 11th.
- Roommates cannot be pulled-in through this process – a student can only choose a new assignment for themselves.
- Students who do not select a new room during this process will return to the same room for the fall semester.
- Instructions will be available May 24th via email.
- Any room changes occurring after the fall fee bills are generated will be reflected on the fee bill in late July.
Trading Spaces (Swap Rooms with Another Student)
Trading Spaces (Swap Rooms with Another Student)
Apply at MyHousing!
Both students who wish to trade spaces must submit the application April 24th - May 22nd. Between May 25th and June 30th, trading spaces requests can be submitted to email@example.com.
Looking for Someone to Swap With?
Check out the Residential Life Roommate page if you are looking for someone to swap with.
You Will be Contacted
A Residential Life staff member will contact trading spaces pairs once both residents have submitted a trading spaces request.
Specific Room Requests, Roommate Pairings, or Moving to a Single Room
Specific Room Requests
Know of a room that will have an opening? Make sure you include that on your room change application and Residential Life will see if the room will be available.
Requested Roommate List
To request to move as a roommate pair/group, you must add the other student(s) to your roommate list in MyHousing by May 22nd.
- Log-in to MyHousing
- Room Selection > Roommates/Suitemates
- Select Term: Fall 2017
- Add the student(s) that you wish to move with to your roommate list.
- Only roommate pairs/groups that read “Your roommate group is fully matched” will be considered for room changes.
- This process is only for current undergraduate students who currently have a Fall 2017 housing assignment. Students who are new to the University will complete a separate roommate pairing process prior to placement.
Moving to a Single Room
Room changes to single rooms will be prioritized by class standing, not by specific requests. Students requesting a room change to a single will be issued a housing selection time and will be able to choose from whatever rooms are available.
Questions after reading this information can be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please include your first/last name and 7 digit student ID number or NetID in your correspondence.