The 2018-2019 Current Student Housing Application is available in MyHousing from December 1 until the priority deadline of January 22 to participate in the spring semester room selection processes. Students who apply after the January 22 priority deadline will be in-queue for Phase 2 Selection, which will take place in May 2018. Students who apply for housing after April 17 will receive an update regarding housing in late May/early June.
New Application Process
For Fall 2018, we are using a new application process that allows students to indicate what campus they are applying for prior to receiving their housing application. To complete the housing application, simply fill out How to Apply for Housing and follow the steps on the confirmation screen to then go back to Applications and complete the Storrs or Stamford Current Student Application for 2018-2019.
Selection Success Tips
- Remember that you only get ONE PICK during this process--whatever room you select is your assignment until the summer room change process begins. Please make sure that you have your roommate group finalized and that you are fully satisfied with your selection BEFORE hitting "submit".
- Follow us on Twitter (@UConnResLife) or like us on Facebook for selection updates and tips as we prepare for selection!
- We encourage students to have multiple contingency plans when it comes to selection, as we cannot guarantee that a specific room type will be available for you or your roommate group to select into.
- Before your selection time begins, you can still go into the system and view available spaces so that you have a better feel for what spaces you can choose when it is your turn!
- If you cannot pick during your turn, please review the options available so that our office can best assist you.
Want to live with an Incoming Student?
Continuing students will have the opportunity to request to live with a specific incoming student (first year and new transfer students) for Fall 2018 during the summer. Continuing students should still select housing during their selection process, but must be willing to change assignments during the summer if our staff is not able to place an incoming student in your selected room.
Don’t Have a Roommate?
Students do not need a roommate to select a space on-campus, but if you would like to connect with other students looking for a roommate, visit UConn's ResLife Roommate Page on Facebook.
You can also use the Advanced Roommate Search function in MyHousing to search for a compatible roommate (You can view the Roommate Pairing tutorial above for more details about this feature!).
UCAELI and Incoming Exchange Students
- As an incoming UCAELI student for Fall 2018, if you apply for housing by April 27 you will be able to select your own housing assignment in an online housing selection in May. If you apply for housing after April 27 you will be placed into housing by staff over the summer and will receive your assignment the first week in August.
Incoming Exchange students:
- As an incoming Exchange student for Fall 2018, if you apply for housing by April 27 you will be able to select your own housing assignment in an online housing selection in May. If you apply for housing after April 27 you will be placed into housing by staff over the summer and will receive your assignment the first week in August.
Selection Times and Class Standing
Current class standing determines the order in which students select a room. Seniors select first, followed by juniors, then sophomores, and then freshmen. Within class standing, students select rooms based on the number of credits earned. If more than one student has the same number of credits, students select in random order. Class standing by credits is as follows:
- Seniors - 86+ credits
- Juniors - 54-85 credits
- Sophomores - 24-53 credits
- Freshmen - 0-23 credits
Class standing is determined by the number of earned credits at the start of the Spring 2018 semester (recorded by the Registrar).
Priority in Housing Selection
University Scholars and the incoming Residence Hall Association (RHA) Executive Board receive priority in housing selection based on their academic status/ contributions to our residential communities. University Scholars priority has been given at least 15 years – RHA priority has been given the last 7 years.
Students Assigned but not participating in Selection
Students who are placed in assignments prior to or during selection include:
- Resident Assistants
- Husky Village residents
- Please remember that Husky Village residents must abide by both the 2018-2019 Housing Contract and the Husky Village Contract.
- Students with approved residential accommodations through the Center for Students with Disabilities
- Students in special interest housing
- Veteran student community
- Gender Inclusive housing
Students who are placed/identified for these housing options in advance of selection are not eligible to participate in the selection processes and will not receive a pick time.
I am admitted to UConn for Fall 2018, how do I select housing?
Congratulations on your acceptance!
All new UConn students will be placed by our office during the summer and we will notify all students of their housing assignments in early August. The new student housing application will open in February 2018 for new UConn students to apply for housing. New students will also be able to pair up during a separate process this summer.
2018-2019 Housing Application available in MyHousing
2018-2019 Housing Application priority deadline
Campus Change Application Deadline
Honors and Learning Community Roommate Selection opens in MyHousing
Week of March 19
General Room Selection times, Stamford Room Selection times, and Honors Selection times available in MyHousing
Honors housing selection in MyHousing
General Roommate Selection and Stamford Roommate Selection opens in MyHousing
Learning Communities housing selection in MyHousing
General Room Selection in MyHousing
Stamford Room Selection in MyHousing
Phase 2 Selection Times released in MyHousing
Phase 2 Selection in MyHousing
Finding your Pick Time
Housing selection times (pick times) for the general process and for the Honors selection process will be available the week of March 19, 2018 in MyHousing. Class standing is determined by the number of earned credits at the start of the Spring 2018 semester (recorded by the Registrar).
Learning Community selection times (pick times) will be available by Monday, March 12 2018 in MyHousing.
Unavailable during your Pick Time?
Students who are unable to go online at their scheduled time have two options:
- Option 1: Enter MyHousing at a later time during your selection period to make your selection, or
- Option 2: Request a proxy to enter housing selection at your scheduled time and select a space for you. To request a proxy, email firstname.lastname@example.org at least 48 hours prior to your selection time asking for Residential Life staff to serve as your proxy. The email must include the following:
- Email Subject: Proxy Request
- Full name
- Student ID Number (PeopleSoft number) or NetID
- Selection date/time
- Rank ordered list of at least four halls/areas or room types you would hope to select. A staff member will enter the housing selection at your scheduled time to pick a room on your behalf.
What if I’m not on campus during the selection process?
If you are participating in an Off-Campus Program or currently not on campus, you can still apply for housing and participate in a room selection process, as all of our selection processes take place in an online format. Please note that we run all processes in the Eastern Timezone.
If you are in an area with unreliable internet or not available during your selection time, please refer to our information above for students who cannot select housing during their pick time for options.
Students planning to study abroad for Fall 2018 and return to campus Spring 2019
Students who are planning to study abroad for Fall 2018 but plan to return to campus for Spring 2019 should still complete the Fall 2018 housing application by the priority deadline of January 22, 2018 and go through the room selection process March-April 2018. Once your study abroad plan is approved, you will be able to cancel Fall 2018 housing without cancellation fees before July 15, 2018 and be guaranteed Spring 2019 housing as long as you continue to meet all application deadlines for Spring housing. We advise students not cancel your Fall 2018 housing until you are 100% committed to your study abroad program.
- The Spring 2019 housing application will open in the Fall 2018 semester for students to apply for Spring 2019 housing
Honors Selection Reminders
- Honors students will be provided an Honors pick-time and a General Selection pick-time.
- During the Honors selection, students will only see Honors housing options to select into.
- During the Honors selection, students will only be able to pair with other Honors students. Non-Honors students cannot be paired with or pulled into Honors housing during this process.
- If you do not use your Honors pick-time, you will be able to participate in the General Selection process with that specific pick-time.
- Students in the General Selection will be able to pair with any other eligible student in that process.
- Honors housing options will not be included in the General Selection process.
Learning Community Selection Reminders
- Students can only match with roommates who are accepted into the same Learning Community.
- Rooms in Learning Community Selections are designated for continuing students and are set per our collaboration with First Year Programs and how the Learning Community directors would like the floor(s) structured.
- New this year: Once students agree to be a member of a Learning Community, they will receive a selection time only for that Learning Community.
- This means that students who participate in Learning Community selection will not have the option to participate in the general room selection process or to select housing with students who are not in their Learning Community.
Residential Life can only verify the accuracy of information on our own website and materials. Information obtained elsewhere may not be accurate.
Questions? Contact Us!
Monday - Friday
8:00am – 5:00pm