Summer 2022 New Student Room Change Process
The Summer 2022 New Student Room Change Process is an online room change for students to view available spaces and select a new assignment prior to arriving on campus. Availability is extremely limited and may not include every housing option on campus. Our available spaces become very limited at the start of the year and most options that will appear will consist of Rate 1 housing in our traditional halls.
The Fall 2022 Room Change application will open after the second week of classes and will likely include higher rate rooms at that time, as staff will be able to review occupancy levels after opening is complete.
Requests for this process must be submitted by logging into MyHousing and submitting the New Student Room Change Application. Once the application is submitted, students will automatically receive a room selection time inside of their MyHousing account.
A general tutorial for selecting housing within MyHousing is available below. Please note that this tutorial was originally intended for room selection (where students could only select one space). In the New Student Room Change, students can change rooms as many times as they would like before the process closes at 11:59PM ET on August 8.
- Assignments will be visible in MyHousing by August 1
- Any student who wishes to change rooms or trade spaces must apply inside of MyHousing before the process ends on August 8.
- Students will be able to change assignments online on August 8. The room change will close at 11:59PM ET on August 8.
Rooms Included in the Process
Spaces in this process are determined by available vacancies. Residential Life cannot guarantee that every room type will be represented during this selection process and do not predict that any apartment spaces will be available in this process.
Once a student changes their assignment, their former room will appear in the system for another student to select. This means that if you change your mind, you may not be able to return to your original assignment.
Students trying to find spaces for roommate groups may not be able to move into a fully open double or suite, as we currently predict that most open doubles and suite spaces will fill before the room change process begins, and it is unlikely that a full double or suite will open up during the process for roommates to select into together.
The online room change must be completed as individuals and each person would need to use their own room selection time to try to pick a new room within their own MyHousing account. You cannot "pull in" a friend or hold a space for another student.
Students Eligible for this Process
New Storrs UConn students for Fall 2022 (incoming students and transfer students) are eligible to participate in this process. Unfortunately students living in Honors housing or Learning Communities will not be able to participate in this process, as they are currently part of a special interest community.
The next room change process for current UConn students is the Fall Room Change, which will open after the second week of classes. More information on this process will be emailed to all students after students have returned to campus. New students will also have the option to participate in the Fall Room Change if they would like to change assignments at that time.
Room Rates and Meal Plan Changes
Room Rate/Meal Plan Changes
Room rate or meal plan changes can occur. Be aware that adjustments may be made to your fee bill depending on the room type you are moving in to or out of.
Moving as an Individual
Moving as Individual – Selection Times Available After Application is Submitted in MyHousing
- Students who request to move individually to a vacant spot will choose their assignment online in MyHousing on August 8.
- Once a new room has been chosen, the student’s current fall assignment will be available to another student to select. Students can change assignments any number of times on August 8 after their start time passes.
- Roommates cannot be pulled-in through this process – a student can only choose a new assignment for themselves.
- Students who do not select a new room during this process will remain in their current assignment for the fall semester.
Don’t want to move? Changed your mind?
Don’t Want to Move? Don’t Submit an Application or Select a New Room!
If you don’t want to move, don’t submit an application! Only students who submit a room change request will be considered to change rooms.
If you change your mind about changing rooms while the process is underway, do not select a new space! Whatever assignment you are in when the process closes on August 8 will be the one that you will move into when you arrive to campus in a few weeks.
If you do not change assignments, the room that you are currently assigned to will be your Fall 2022 assignment.
Special Interest Areas
Special Interest Areas
- There are special interest housing areas throughout campus. Students requesting these areas must meet programmatic requirements. Unfortunately this means that students will not be able to use this process to try to join special interest housing, including not being able to join a learning community or Honors housing.
- Students who are currently part of Honors housing or a Learning Community are not eligible to participate in this process.
Moving to a Single Room
We do not anticipate that single rooms will become available in this process. There are extremely few single rooms on-campus and typically they already have a student assigned to them by this time in the summer. If one becomes available, it will appear in this process and a student may use their selection time to try to select into that room.