Spring 2023 Room Change Process
The Spring Semester has limited vacancies and many areas of campus are full. This room change process is intended for students that need a room change due to extenuating circumstances. Students requesting to move during this time should be willing to be flexible about what areas of campus they are looking to move to.
There will be two distinct processes for students to change rooms for the Spring 2023 semester
- Room Changes = Move to an open spot. Apply in MyHousing January 19 - March 5
- Trading Spaces = Swap rooms with another student. Does not involve a vacant space. Both students who wish to trade spaces must email email@example.com
- Students who are non-compliant with the meningitis vaccination requirement are also not eligible to change rooms.
Moving to a Vacant Space
- Individual Requests
- Online Spring Room Change - Students will use MyHousing to view open spaces on campus and select a room of their choosing.
- There will be 6 opportunities to pick a new room throughout the Spring semester for students who submit the room change application. Every Wednesday and Thursday starting on February 1, eligible students can log into MyHousing and view all available spaces.
- If you select a new room during the process, you are committing to moving over that weekend and will return your former assignment keys to our drop box at Whitney Hall (East Campus) by the end of the day on Sunday of that weekend.
- Your keys to your new assignment will be available to pick up in the lower level of Whitney Hall (East Campus) on Friday between 12:00-4:00pm of the week you select a new room.
- If you are not available on a specific weekend, please wait until a later room change round in this process so that you can meet this timeline as we cannot make exceptions or have you move outside of this timeline. A lock change will be issued if the key is not returned on time and a lock change charge will be added to your fee bill ($100 per lost room key, $15 mail room key).
New rooms are added to the selection options weekly, not in live-time. If you’re looking to live in a space a friend vacates during the first round of the room change process, you may not see that space as an option until the following week.
Moving as a Group or Pair
- Are you and a friend(s) looking to move to a new room together? Please indicate that on the application and staff will work with you on an individual basis to try to help you move together.
- Any person that wishes to move must submit an application.
- The priority application deadline for students looking to move as a group or pair is Sunday, February 12. Applications received after February 12 will be reviewed as time permits.
- You cannot “pull-in” a friend during this process.
Moves for pairs and groups may be limited due to a limited number of rooms with multiple vacancies.
Specific Room Requests
- Students that know of a specific room that is empty and wish to move into that space should include the hall and room number on their application. If the space is available we will do our best to offer the space. Students can request specific rooms within apartments (i.e. single bedrooms within a Charter Oak or Hilltop Apartments), but students CANNOT request a traditional or suite single room as a specific room request.
- The priority application deadline for students looking to move to a specific room is Sunday, February 12. Applications received after February 12 will be reviewed as time permits.
Trading Spaces Requests
- Trading Spaces involves two people swapping rooms. Trading Spaces does not involve any vacant spaces.
- These requests are accepted through March 3 via email to firstname.lastname@example.org. Students do not need to submit a room change application in MyHousing.
- Students who want to trade spaces both must email email@example.com and include:
- Student Number
- Name of Person you are trading with
- Student Number of Person you are trading with
- Building and Room you wish to move into
- Students that trade spaces can only do so after being approved by Residential Life.
- Students cannot trade into a single if they live in a different room type.
Important Room Change Reminders
- Students who are non-compliant with the Meningitis vaccination requirement are NOT eligible to change rooms.
- Students cannot move into Husky Village during this room change process. Students in chapters currently recognized by the University cannot move out of Husky Village during this process.
- RAs cannot request a move during this process.
- Graduate students can email firstname.lastname@example.org inquire about room change opportunities. Include your full name and 7 digit student ID number in your correspondence.
- Room rate or meal plan changes can occur. Be aware that adjustments may be made to your fee bill depending on the room type you are moving into or out of.
- Students who move from a suite or traditional hall to an apartment will have their meal plan automatically removed. Please contact Dining Services directly if you’d like to keep your meal plan.
- Students who move from an apartment to a suite or traditional hall will have a meal plan automatically added to their account.
Learning Community Residents (including H20)
- Students participating in a learning community will not be given access to the room change application. If a student in a learning community wishes to change rooms they must email email@example.com to request access.
Students looking to move into a space that is designated as a learning community must list the space as a specific room request. Learning Community Spaces will not be a part of the online selection process. Priority for a learning community space will be given to members of the learning community first.
Don't want to Move? Don't submit an application!
If you don't want to change your assignment, do not submit an application in MyHousing! Only students who submit a room change/trading spaces application before the deadline will be considered to change rooms.
The schedule below shows each week's timeline for the 6 rounds of the Spring Room Change process. Students that select a new space must follow the following timeline. Individual exceptions cannot be made.
- If you are unable to complete your move during your round’s timeframe, you should wait for another round to change rooms.
Students who submit an application but do not select a new room will automatically be issued a time for the next round of the room change process. This means that if you apply by January 29, 2023 but do not pick a room during the online process taking place February 1 and 2, we will automatically give you a pick time for the February 7 and 8 online process so that you can look at availability during that process. You will continue to remain in the process until you select a room, the process ends or you cancel your room change application.
Students who request a group move or special interest area will be processed manually by staff but still need to follow the timeline below for key pick-up, transition, and the return of their former assignment keys. Please refer to your room change confirmation email for specific details.
|Submit the Room Change
Application in MyHousing By:
|Online Room Change
12:00pm - 4:00pm
Main Residential Life Office
Lower Level of Whitney Hall
Your New Space
NO LATER THAN:
|January 29||February 1 & 2||February 3||February 4-5||February 5|
|February 5||February 8 & 9||February 10||February 11-12||February 12|
|February 12||February 15 & 16||February 17||February 18-19||February 19|
|February 19||February 22 & 23||February 24||February 25-26||February 26|
|February 26||March 1 & 2||March 3||March 4-5||March 5|
|March 5||March 8 & 9||March 10||March 11-12||March 12|
Help Me Understand This Table
- The room change application will be open in MyHousing from January 19 until March 5. We will be hold 6 weeks of online room change opportunities for students to pick a new room in MyHousing (or for students requesting group moves/special interest areas, to be offered a room change by our staff via email).
- In order to participate in the online room change process each Wednesday/Thursday, you must submit the room change application in MyHousing before midnight on the date in the "Apply By" column. Everyone who applies on-time will receive a pick time for that week's online selection process and will be able to login to MyHousing during the Selection Dates to view our open spaces and pick a new room. If you sign up but do not pick a room during that week's process, we will continue to issue you a new pick time each week so that you can continue considering your options during each room change selection.
- If you select a new space (or your group move/special interest room change request is processed) that week, we need you to come to Whitney Hall (East Campus) and go to the lower level so that you can enter the main Residential Life Office and pick up your keys between 12:00pm-4:00pm on that Friday. That is the only time that you will be able to pick up the keys to your new room.
- You will move to your new room during the "Transition Dates" and must return your old room keys to our Whitney Hall Key Return Drop Box by the deadline in order to avoid being charged for a lock change.
- If you are not available to pick up keys or move during a specific weekend, we recommend waiting until a different week of the process and then selecting a new room, as we cannot make any exceptions to this timeline.
If you have additional questions after reading this information, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org. Please include your first/last name and 7 digit student ID number in your correspondence.