Summer 2020 Undergraduate Room Change Process
There will be two distinct processes for students to change rooms through the Summer 2020 Room Change & Trading Spaces Process for the Fall 2020 semester. The application will open in MyHousing on Monday, May 4th and remain open until May 28, 2020.
Room Changes – Move to an Open Spot (Requests accepted May 4 – May 28, 2020)
- Moving as an Individual – Choose Room Online
- Moving as a Pair/Group – Offered by Residential Life
Trading Spaces (Requests accepted May 4 - June 30, 2020 via email to firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Swap rooms with another student. Does not involve a vacant space. Students cannot request to trade spaces into a single from other room types.
- Both students who wish to trade spaces must email email@example.com with the following information:
- Student Number
- Name of Person you are trading with
- Student Number of Person you are trading with
- Room you wish to move into
The Summer Room Change process is entirely online and does not need to be completed on campus. Please note that this process is not intended for students who are new to the University of Connecticut, as they have a different housing placement process.
Apply May 4th – May 28th in MyHousing
Any student who wishes to change rooms must submit an application between May 4th – May 28th.
Trading spaces requests can be submitted via email to firstname.lastname@example.org between May 4th and June 30th
Group Room Change Offers Begin – May 18th
There will be an early application deadline of May 18, 2020 for the following students:
- Students wishing to move as a pair/group
- Students requesting a specific (non-single) space
- Students moving within a specialty area (Honors, LCs)
Applications received by this date from the above groups will be given priority in room change offers over those received after May 18th.
Please click on "Moving as a Group" or "Moving as an Individual" for more specific timelines for those processes.
Moving as a Group
Moving as Pair/Group
- Room change offers will be made May 18th – 22nd with priority given to groups/pairs who applied by May 18th.
- Additional group/pair moves may be made throughout the process (until the end of the online selection process) as spaces become available.
- After all students in the group/pair have submitted an application, they will be contacted by a staff member via email if a space is available.
- There will be a 48 hour deadline to respond to the offer, and typically one offer is made. Students are not obligated to accept an offer and can choose to remain in their same room.
- Any student without a room change offer as of May 22nd will be issued a room change selection time in the event they wish to view room availability.
Roommate Requests for Group Moves
Requested Roommate List
To request to move as a roommate pair/group, you must add the other student(s) to your roommate list in MyHousing by May 18th.
- Log-in to MyHousing
- Room Selection > Roommates/Suitemates
- Select Term: Fall 2020
- Add the student(s) that you wish to move with to your roommate list.
- Only roommate pairs/groups that read “Your roommate group is fully matched” will be considered for group room changes.
- This process is only for current undergraduate students who currently have a fall 2020 housing assignment. Students who are new to the University will complete a separate roommate pairing process prior to placement.
Rooms Included in the Process
Spaces in this process are determined by available vacancies. Residential Life cannot guarantee that every room type will be represented during this selection process. Once a student changes their assignment, their former room will appear in the system for another student to select.
Students trying to find spaces for larger groups may not be able to move into a fully open apartment or suite, as we currently predict that most apartment and suite spaces will fill before the room change process begins on May 29th, and it is unlikely that a full apartment or suite will open up for large groups to select into together.
Room Rates and Meal Plan Changes
Room Rate/Meal Plan Changes
Room rate or meal plan changes can occur. Be aware that adjustments may be made to your fee bill depending on the room type you are moving in to or out of.
Moving as an Individual
Moving as Individual – Selection Times Available May 22nd
- Students who request to move individually to a vacant spot will choose their assignment online in MyHousing May 29th – June 4th. Students looking to move to a specific (non-single) room, or to an Honors or LC space will be offered a room change from Residential Life.
- Once a new room has been chosen, the student’s fall assignment will be available to another student to select. Students can change assignments any number of times between May 29th - June 4th.
- Roommates cannot be pulled-in through this process – a student can only choose a new assignment for themselves.
- Students who do not select a new room during this process will return to the same room for the fall semester.
- Instructions will be available May 22nd via email.
- Any room changes occurring after the fall fee bills are generated will be reflected on the fee bill in late July.
Specific Room Requests
Specific Room Requests
Know of a room that will have an opening? Make sure you include that on your room change application and Residential Life will see if the room will be available to move you into.
Don’t want to move? Changed your mind?
Don’t Want to Move? Don’t Submit an Application!
If you don’t want to move, don’t submit an application! Only students who submit a room change/trading spaces application will be considered to change rooms.
If you change your mind about changing rooms while the process is underway, do not select a new space! Whatever assignment you are in when the process closes on June 4th will be the one that you will move into when you arrive to campus in August. If you do not change assignments, the room that you selected during housing selection in will be your Fall 2020 assignment.
Special Interest Areas
Special Interest Areas
There are special interest housing areas throughout campus. Students requesting these areas must meet programmatic requirements. Students cannot move into or out of Husky Village during this room change process.
Trading Spaces (Swap Rooms with Another Student)
Moving to a Single Room
Room changes to single rooms will be prioritized by class standing, not by specific requests. Students requesting a room change to a single will be issued a housing selection time and will be able to choose from whatever rooms are available. Students cannot request to trade spaces into a single from other room types.