Living on campus at UConn can be an exciting and rewarding experience for both students and their families. We have included links and resources on this page to help answer the most frequently asked questions by families of our residents. If you can’t find the answer to your question, feel free to email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA)
Looking to discuss student information with the Department of Residential Life? Students need to provide explicit consent to allow this communication to occur and staff members will need to verify a FERPA PIN code before discussing any specific account information with anyone but your student. More information can be found on the University’s Share My Information page.
We rely on a close partnership in order to best serve your student, and some conversations are best had directly with your student. If possible, please try to encourage your student to connect with our office directly so that we can help them navigate processes and answer their questions.
Communication to your Student
Your student can expect to receive an average of 25-30 total emails from Residential Life during the year. These email notifications include:
• Housing application deadlines and reminders
• Cancellation deadlines and reminders
• Room change and housing selection process information
• Arrival and departure information each semester
Students that choose to participate in a specific process, or who identify with a particular community, could receive additional emails pertaining to that process or population.
• Subject lines begin with “UConn housing”. Encourage your student to check spam folders and link multiple email accounts.
• Residential Life sends emails to students who need to take action. If your student receives an email and think it doesn’t apply to them, have your student contact us.
• Residential Life sends a family newsletter to students who provided a parent or family email address. These newsletters will include upcoming dates, processes and important information. Please check in with your student periodically about these dates and processes to see if they have missed anything and are aware of this information.
• The Residential Life website has a wealth of information for students and for families. It is a good site to bookmark and to review periodically throughout the year.
Listed below are some sample emails that students receive throughout the year. Emails may pertain to processes, important dates, deadline reminders and various communities on campus. If you have questions about a process or population please review the corresponding email template to review information that your student may have received.