Learning Communities and Special Interest Housing

Learning Communities and Honors Housing

Learning Communities

Make campus life a more rewarding adventure by choosing to live on a residence hall floor with people who share your interests, lifestyle or commitment to a major. Students have the opportunity to make connections with their class and floormates and can support each other both in and outside of the classroom. LC residents take a seminar course together and get involved in activities and events on campus. There are also unique opportunities to get to know faculty, staff, and student peer mentors in a close-knit community setting. Learn more about these opportunities on the Learning Communities page.

Honors Housing

Most first-year students entering the Honors Program will live together in an Honors residential community in Buckley or Shippee Hall. Individuals living in this community will have the benefits of living, studying, and socializing together with other high-achieving students. Learn more about this community on the Honors Housing page.


Honors Housing After the First Year

After the first year, Honors students can continue living in Honors housing on a space available basis, or choose from a variety of housing options available in non-Honors buildings during room selection. Returning Honors students may choose to live in McMahon Hall (traditional-style hall) and Snow Hall (suite-style residence hall) in South Campus. Housing in an Honors community after the first year is not guaranteed, nor does Residential Life or the Honors Program guarantee on campus housing for four years.

Special Interest Housing

Husky Village

Housing for Fraternities and Sororities. Husky Village opened in Fall 2004 for fraternities and sororities at UConn. This area offers 301 beds in six three-story buildings; four buildings offer 60 beds each, and two buildings offer 30 beds, with a student Resident Assistant staffed throughout the area. Each building is split in half and each half houses one organization.  Learn more about this community on the Husky Village page.

Gender Inclusive Housing

Gender Inclusive Housing

The University of Connecticut seeks to provide a living environment welcoming to all gender identities. Since 2008, Gender Inclusive Housing has allowed for students of any gender to live together. Most students living in Gender Inclusive Housing are assigned to the 1st and 2nd floors of Brock Hall in Alumni Quadrangle in traditional double rooms. Undergraduate students of any class standing who are guaranteed housing, may request to live in this community. (Other institutions with similar communities use labels such as LGBT Housing, Spectrum, etc.)


Please visit the Gender Inclusive Housing page for more information and frequently asked questions about living in the community.

UConn Recovery Community (URC)

The UConn Recovery Community (URC) provides an environment that is supportive to students in recovery from substance use disorders. The URC provides support through community building, social support, academic support, substance free activities, advocacy, outreach, and creating greater opportunities to access resources and services available on campus.

The URC provides an opportunity for URC members to live together in a supportive, alcohol and non-prescribed drug free community while participating in the URC programs. Recovery Housing is on a first come first serve basis and is gender inclusive housing.  Students in recovery, with three (3) months of abstinence-free recovery may be eligible for recovery housing.

Eligible students in recovery may apply by doing the following:

  • Indicate they are interested in recovery housing on their Residential Life Housing Application, and
  • Apply for URC Membership - Contact the UConn Recovery Community at (860) 486-8774 or at urc@uconn.edu

Veterans Community

The Veterans Community is offered as a partnership between the Office of Veterans Affairs & Military Programs, Department of Residential Life, and students committed to creating a community for student veterans that provides support, connection, and resources for veterans as they attend the University of Connecticut.


Veterans Community

The primary mission of the Veterans Community is to help veterans transition from military to student life in a supportive environment. This community is located within South Campus, with four students assigned to each suite (two students in each bedroom of the suite). Within the community, veterans can participate in programs and events that allow for peer learning and connection with other veterans. This community is dedicated to helping veterans navigate the complexities of the college experience and making a successful transition from military life to civilian life.

To request to live in the Veterans Community, or for more information, please contact Nikki Eberly in the Office of Veterans Affairs & Military Programs at (860) 486- nikki.eberly@uconn.edu.


Student Veteran Roommate Options
Residential Life supports the success of student veterans. Student veterans (individuals with prior military service), who elect to live in on-campus housing but do not wish to live in the Veterans Community may request to live with a fellow student veteran or an older student by following the steps below. Questions? Contact Residential Life at (860) 486-2926.

  • Complete the housing application in ApplyOnline
  • Request a veteran/older student roommate in MyHousing > Personal Preferences

Substance Free Living Community

The Substance Free Living Community is a pilot program designed to provide an environment where students commit to living in an environment free from alcohol and non-prescribed drugs. Students choose substance-free housing for a myriad of reasons: to support academic achievement, for religious or cultural beliefs, for health and wellness needs, and the list goes on. It is important to understand your motivation for choosing this housing option in order to commit to maintaining an environment that is substance free.


For 2021-2022 students will be accepted to the community based on submission date of the housing application.  Priority may be given to students in recovery, who cannot be accommodated in the Recovery House, or whose recovery needs require an alternate location to Recovery House.


The Substance Free Living Community will located in West Campus, specifically the Alsop B residence hall.


Questions?  Contact Residential Life at (860) 486-2926.


Eligible students may apply by doing the following:

  • Indicate they are interested in Substance Free housing on their Residential Life Housing Application and when provided accept to participate in the housing selection for the Substance Free or be placed by the Department of Residence Life.

* Students new to UConn are not eligible to apply for Substance Free Living Community.

* Please note Substance Free housing is not Recovery Housing.  If you are interested in Recovery Housing, please email URC@uconn.edu.